There are a number of reasons you might need to update a serial number for Autodesk software, such as converting an educational license to a commercial license, starting a new subscription after the previous one expired, if you’ve extended the term on an existing license or if you’ve just been issued a new serial number.
Updating a serial number on Autodesk software doesn’t need to be a lengthy process, and at Cadassist we frequently get asked if you need to completely reinstall the software in order to be able to do this. The short answer is no, and here’s how.
If your software subscription expires or your user permissions change, you may receive an activation screen with one of the following messages:
To renew your license for your Autodesk software you can:
- Get a new serial number. Individual users can renew their software subscription to replace an expired license. Enterprise users can contact a Contract Administrator to get a new serial number.
- Enter the serial number in the renew license dialog box and click Activate
You can change the serial number for your Autodesk software from within the Help menu of most products.
To change your serial number from the software menu:
- Start your Autodesk software.
- Follow one of these paths in your software Help menu (path may vary by product):
- Help > About
- Help > About[Product Name]
- Help > Autodesk Product Information > About[Product Name]
3. Click Product Information… or Product License Information in the About window, depending on which version you are using.
4. Click the Update button next to the serial number in the Product License Information dialog box.
5. Enter your product serial number and click the Activate button.
Please note, in some cases you will need to restart the Autodesk Product in order for the updated serial number to be displayed.
If you want more information on Autodesk software you can visit our new Cadassist website, to keep receiving all of our hints and tips for Autodesk software, don’t forget to follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter.